Wednesday, August 20, 2008

It's No Joke!

I recently read a story in the humor section of a magazine.

I seems an atheist was sitting in his seat during a flight and noticed across the aisle an elderly woman, reading her Bible.
After a while, he asked her, "Do you believe what you read in that book?"
"Yes, I do," she replied, smiling sweetly.
"Every word?" he asked.
"Yes, every word."
"Aw come on … do you really believe that Jonah was swallowed by a fish?" he scoffed.
"Yes, I do!"
"Prove it," the atheist retorted.
"Well, I can’t," the little lady replied. "However, when I get to heaven, I’ll ask him."
"What if he isn’t in heaven," the man smirked.
"Well, she responded without hesitation, "then you ask him!"

I giggled to myself until I realized that the joke was not funny. That man will someday believe in God, as we all will.

When we are standing before God’s throne, in judgement, the proof will be before us. But, by then, it may be too late to avoid an eternity in hell.

All of us will meet our maker. Those of us who have accepted Jesus Christ as our Savior will have the perfect lawyer … Jesus, Himself. Those who refused to believe or worst yet, never got around to believing will have no defense. They will stand condemned.

It will be an unbelievably awesome, knee-shaking event, standing before the Lord. Personally, I want to be well prepared for that meeting. I want Jesus on my side.

How about you? Are you a sinner … you better answer yes … we are all sinners. Will you stand before Him, trembling in your filthy rags, or will you be standing there dressed in the clothes that Christ’s blood supplied for you?

All you need to do is admit you are a sinner, repent of those sins, and believe that Christ died to save you from those sins. Let Him know … Jesus will do the rest.

It’s no joke! Take your pick … as for me and my house … I will chose Jesus!

Larry Abele, Editorial Team

No comments: