Wednesday, July 23, 2008

"Do You Have A Mentor?"

The original Mentor is a character in Homer’s epic poem The Odyssey. When Odysseus, King of Ithaca went to fight in the Trojan War, he entrusted the care of his kingdom to Mentor. Mentor served as the teacher and overseer of Odysseuss’ son, Telemachus.

The Dictionary defines a mentor as "a trusted counselor or guide." Today, there seems to be much ongoing discussion and debate about the definitions and differences regarding coaching and mentoring. However, all agree that a good mentor is a valued asset.

When I began my Christian walk 15 years ago at the age of 58, God entrusted me with an excellent earthly mentor. While I have known many great Christian men in those years, the Lord knew that I would be most comfortable with a mentor who had been on the cutting edge of His work. That mentor was Paul Weresch. He has been an excellent "trusted counselor and guide".

We have worked together often over the years. I have published his newsletter many years and now he has asked me to write for this endeavor. I am happy to have Paul as a mentor … however, he is not the only mentor I have.

Jesus said, as reported by John in Chapter 14:25-27, "All this I have spoken while still with you. But the Counselor , the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you."

If you are beginning your Christian walk … it will help to find a good earthly mentor. However, always remember … "God has said, ‘Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.’ So we say with confidence, ‘The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid.’" (Hebrews 13:5-5)

No one could have a better mentor or friend than the original mentor, Christ Jesus!

Larry Abele - Editorial Team

No comments: